Saturday, November 12, 2011

Changes and Surprises.....among the colors



Thursday was another "trip to Hattiesburg" kinda' day. On the drive back home, the brilliant afternoon sun shining from a cloudless sky,  made the beautiful changing colors of the trees appear even more vibrant. The brisk fall wind, sent leaves floating across the highway. As I drove while Bob napped, the words rushed around in my head ...... just like the leaves rushing toward the ground. Sentences wanted to flow so badly, from my head to my fingers......but those fingers were otherwise occupied with a steering wheel!

It was a day of change. Long before Bob was diagnosed with cancer (that's how we now define our lives.....before cancer, or after cancer), we had both discussed the need to find a new family doctor. And so, after his diagnosis, that's just what we did. We later learned that we'd chosen a doctor without hospital privileges (the doctor's choice). I was concerned that he did not do hospital admits, and of course, no hospital visits. How could he stay up-to-date with my honey's needs and progress? So today we changed, again....to a doctor who specializes in Geriatrics, and has hospital privileges, and had attended him in the LTAC unit.

I was impressed that this new doctor didn't send in a nurse to ask all the questions - which usually must then be retold to the doctor. He came in and checked his B/P (which was low) and listened to his chest. And, he said that honey's lungs no longer sounded like a "bowl of Rice Krispies" (I may never eat those, again!). He wrote an order for blood work to try and determine if the pain in Bob's thighs is caused by a loss of muscle mass. And, he wrote an order for a Chest X-ray, just to ensure that his lungs are really clear.

At the hospital, while providing information for Bob's chest x-ray, there was a discussion about drawing blood, and I commented "Bob's lucky, he has a port". Lucky?? Really, did I just say that?  He has a port, because he has cancer. It probably wasn't the best choice of words, but at least he doesn't have to get stuck everytime.

Our day, at the Cancer Center, ended with a most wonderful surprise. We have two burgundy Multiple Myeloma car magnet ribbons, ordered from http://www.choosehope.com/, on the back of our car. I didn't notice that a car had followed me into the parking lot, but I soon saw a face that I thought I recognized. It was the daughter of another Multiple Myeloma patient. She had followed our car, because of the ribbons. We had spoken, months earlier, when her dad was just beginning his treatment.....(and our wonderful Dr. H. is also his doctor). I had often thought of her dad, and wondered how he was doing, but had not seen him at the Cancer Center on the days we were there. As many of you know, I'm such a believer in "God puts us where we need to be....when we need to be" and "things happen for a reason". I'm not sure why Lee Anne and I reconnected, but I'm so happy we did. She is so warm and has the sweetest smile......and her dad is in my prayers. (And, she now has MM car magnets on the back of her car!)

A day of change and pleasant surprises amid the beautiful fall colors.

8 comments:

  1. I think that is also why I had the pleasure of meeting you - I pay attention to what God puts under my nose. These are the silver linings in this dreadful disease. I need to get some magnets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra: I ordered quite a few. I'm trying to keep some in the car, and if we can meet up.....I'll give you a couple.

    You're right, our MM friends are our silver linings! What a great way to look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember using that same "he's lucky" phrase, Sarah, whenever Vern needed blood drawn. I guess it wasn't the best use of that word but, given the circumstances, it really did feel that way. He so hated to be stuck!

    I'm so pleased to hear that you've found a caring and thorough new doc. What a difference that can make.

    I still have my MM car magnets on both cars - along with the IMF bumper sticker. I like thinking of the connections I've made with MM patients and their caregivers as my silver lining. Hoping all the tests bring positive news.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dianne: I so appreciate you sharing your journey, as painful as it must be. We learn from those that have traveled before us.

    Sandra was right....my MM friends are my "Silver Lining". What a good spin this adds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now where is that 'LIKE" button when I need it? The only thing that keeps me sane is to keep a positive attitude and look for all the blessings in the midst of the nightmare and boy have they been plentiful.

    I see the magnets for another good excuse to 'meet up'...The silver lining of the magnets. Just tell me when you will be in town, my friend. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and I keep trying to convince Billy to get a port. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH SARAH, YOUR POST WAS SO UPLIFTING. I AM SO GLAD YOU FOUND THAT NEW DOCTOR AND THAT HE IS SO HANDS-ON, KIND AND ATTENTIVE. YOU AND BOB DESERVE ALL THE SILVER LININGS THAT COME YOUR WAY. THE MOON, THE SKY, THE GOLDEN LIGHT SHIMMERING THROUGH THE TRESS - IT'S ALL THERE, BUT IT TAKES A RECEPTIVE AND APPRECIATIVE SOUL TO NOTICE AND TAKE JOY IN. YOU ARE SO BLESSED TO BE ABLE TO CELEBRATE THOSE GIFTS, AND THERE WILL ALWAYS BE SILVER LININGS FOR YOU. THANKS FOR SHARING SUCH GOOD STUFF! WARM HUGS, KAREN

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your new doctor sounds good! I have never heard of this "hospital privileges" business - in the UK, the GP is totally community based and would never visit a patient in hospital, so all communication is via a tortuous system of referral letters and reports back which is SO SLOW. And hooray for MM-ribbon stalkers! ;)

    ReplyDelete